Desktop Publishing Plan
We have found several desktop publishing software programs that are great for creating high-quality yearbooks. We recommend using one of these three industry leaders: Quark XPress, Adobe InDesign or Microsoft Publisher.
Whichever program you use, it is important that you send us a sample page before you begin to build the entire book. We can then see if you are making the pages correctly and also verify our compatibility. This saves valuable time when due dates are closing in.
After you have created your pages in these programs, there are some specific steps you will need to take when sending us the files. Also, please read up on “bleed” as this is the most common problem we have.
Here are a few tips to make sure you get the quality yearbook that you deserve.
Foil Stamping (hard cover books only)
- All foil stamp artwork must be submitted in black and white. The black area will be stamped in the foil of your choice. Artwork must be 300 dpi.
- Standard pricing includes a 7 x 9 inch design. For larger designs, we have to create a larger stamping die, which will cost an additional $150.00
- Names can be stamped on the covers, making your yearbook a unique personalized keepsake.
- Please choose from our standard foil and cover materials.
Full-color Covers (hard or soft cover)
- You can choose one of our custom designer covers, or
- You may create your own custom full-color graphic. Your artwork should be 10 x 14 inches for a single page cover, or 20 x 14 inches for a 2-page cover spread. These sides include an extra 1.5 inches of image “bleed” on all sides.
- Soft cover books can qualify for free personalization, however, there is a 100 book minimum.
- Create all pages as “1-up.” Each page should be a separate file, or at least a separate “page” within the file. Do not use spreads where two pages run together.
- Page bleeds: If you want an image or some background color to “bleed” (run off the edge of the sheet) you will need to supply us with an extra 1/8 inch around the page so we have room to trim the page correctly. Learn how to set-up bleeds.
- Single page size: Maximum 8.5 x 11 inches (not including the bleed).
- Number of pages: Refer to your order form.
You can design any layout you want, but we recommend you check out the sample layouts made especially for Quark XPress, InDesign, and Publisher.
- Full-color yearbooks: Our digital press is a 4-color press. Our system will automatically convert spot, RGB and PMS colors to 4 color tints. To avoid unexpected results, work entirely in CMYK mode. When scanning color photos, scan as CMYK or 4-color. Leave all digital photos (from digital cameras) as RGB.
- Black and white yearbooks: Prepare your file in black only. This also means that when you are scanning color photos for a black and white page, scan the image in “Grayscale.”
Images and Graphics
- Make sure all digital photos are provided at 300dpi (dots per inch).
- Images should be saved as TIFF or EPS format. Do not save images with screen angles or transfer function applied. Scanned images should be 300dpi at 100% scale.
- Use any fonts that you have available on your hard drive. Remember to proof all your pages before sending them to us.
We accept the following three file transfer methods:
- Preferred method: Install our “Point, Click, Print” driver
It’s very easy and your pages will be transferred to us over a high-speed internet connection. You will even see a proof on-line right away.
- PDF method: Convert your completed pages into a PDF
The PDF file can then be e-mailed to us, or burned to a CD-Rom and mailed to our Rochester, New York office.
- Original files method: Save all your files on a CD-ROM
For a yearbook, this usually means you end up sending a huge amount of photos and fonts. This is the most complicated method and with the greatest risk of unwanted surprises. We recommend this option solely as a backup. (Please note that we only support this method for Quark XPress, InDesign, and Publisher.)